Friday, January 22, 2010

I Schmooze I Loose

One of my goals in the New Year is to grow my client base. As such, I decided I need to start networking to get some business. So last night I attended an event with my colleague and my father-in-law. The event had great food, a silent auction, and fake black jack tables. I started to play black jack and was going to quit when I decided to bet $800 and then doubled down. I won! I walked away from the table with over $5000 by the time I finished! I then had the pleasure of trading in the money for 10 raffle tickets of which, of course, I won nothing.

I then bid on a silent auction item and then at the last second entered a bid for another item. It was advertised as dinner for two at a nice restaurant in town plus this Holistic health package. I entered my bid figuring the dinner was worth it. I win again! I pay my money for the prizes and go to collect the goods. I then realize that the Dinner for Two was actually just a $30 gift certificate for dinner. Dinner at this restaurant for 1 person would be $30. I walked away with dinner for one, vitamins, mud mask, tea and room spray for way too much money!! I was bitter.

I did meet some people and had fun overall.

I told my father-in-law I started a Blog to which he responded "What does that mean". Gotta Love the Baby Boomer generation!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you still have your Healy blood! Supposed to be work schmoozing and you are gambling and making poor financial decisions! Way to go!

    PS I want to go to some work schmooze event. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least is was for a good cause, right? Then at least it's a tax write-off.

    And you won, I like the glory of winning almost as much as the prize itself!

    ReplyDelete